Why Trump Ordered US Airstrikes in Nigeria — And How Tinubu Is Responding

0
86

United States President Donald Trump has confirmed that American forces carried out airstrikes against Islamic State terrorists in Nigeria’s North West, a move he said was triggered by continued attacks on civilians, particularly Christians.

In a statement posted on his Truth Social platform on Thursday, Trump said the strikes were executed at his direct order and warned that further attacks would follow if the killings persisted.

“Tonight, at my direction as Commander in Chief, the United States launched a powerful and deadly strike against ISIS terrorists in Northwest Nigeria,” Trump wrote, describing the operation as a series of “perfect strikes” carried out by the US Department of War.

Trump, who has repeatedly criticised the Nigerian government over insecurity, said the militants had ignored earlier warnings and vowed that his administration would not allow what he described as radical Islamic terrorism to flourish under his watch.

US Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth, in a separate post on X, said the operation was conducted with the cooperation of Nigerian authorities. He added that the president had been clear in previous statements that the killing of innocent civilians in Nigeria “must end”.

What Happened to Buhari’s Justice Minister? How Malami acquired 30 houses, others during Buhari’s eight years rule – EFCC 

The United States Africa Command later confirmed that the strikes took place on December 25 in Sokoto State, noting that multiple Islamic State fighters were killed during the operation. According to AFRICOM, the action was coordinated with Nigerian authorities.

The airstrikes followed a suspected suicide bombing a day earlier in Maiduguri, Borno State, which killed several people and injured others, underscoring the persistent threat posed by militant groups operating across parts of the country.

Trump has previously threatened drastic measures over the situation in Nigeria. In November, he warned that US aid could be cut off and that military action was being considered if stronger steps were not taken to curb extremist violence. Since returning to office in January, his administration has authorised military strikes in several regions, including the Middle East, Africa and parts of the Pacific.

Reacting to the development, the Federal Government confirmed that Nigeria and the United States are engaged in ongoing security and intelligence cooperation aimed at combating terrorism.

In a statement issued on Friday by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, spokesperson Kimiebi Ebienfa said the collaboration involved intelligence sharing, strategic coordination and other forms of support, carried out in line with international law and with respect for Nigeria’s sovereignty.

NEW TAX LAW: How Your NIN Just Became Your Tax ID In 2026

The ministry emphasised that Nigeria’s counterterrorism efforts are guided by the protection of civilian lives and national unity, stressing that terrorist violence, whether against Christians, Muslims or any other group, remains unacceptable.

The government said it would continue to work with international partners to weaken terrorist networks, disrupt their financing and prevent cross border threats, while keeping Nigerians informed through official channels.