The Federal Government has said the Third Mainland Bridge in Lagos will be reopened on February 15.
Minister of Works and Housing, Babatunde Fashola who disclosed this while inspecting the construction work on major roads and bridges in the state said most of the works on the bridge are almost completed.
The bridge was closed last year for six months which was to elapse this January.
Fashola explained that two weeks were lost to the #EndSARS protests last year, adding that the reopening would take place next month.
He said, “We lost two weeks during the civil protest and our completion date earlier was towards the end of January, which has slipped.
“We are hoping that by 15th of February we should be done and the bridge should be opened to the public.”
Fashola stated that the Third Mainland Bridge construction is delaying the repair work on Falomo, adding that the government was conscious of the inconvenience that the closure of two major bridges at the same time would cause to motorists.
In the course of the construction work, the Federal Government has been diverting traffic to one lane resulting in daily gridlock on the bridge.
Fashola said, “That is one of the reasons why I also came to see how far and when this bridge will be opened to the public because this is delaying our work on Falomo Bridge.
“We have done some work on Falomo Bridge , we are going to have to close Falomo Bridge as soon as this is done so that we can also replace the expansion joints there .
“All the other preliminary work has been done there, but we left it in order to reduce the inconvenience to commuters in and around Lagos .
“So, the Eko Bridge that was closed is open now, this one (Third Mainland Bridge) is going to be opened by February 15.”
Fashola also inspected the rehabilitated Obalende Bridge damaged by tanker fire and commended the contractor for doing a good job.