Zamfara killings: 90 buried, many still missing

0
613

The death toll from the killings in Zamfara State is rising as reports from communities indicated that at least 90 corpses have so far been buried while many persons remain unaccounted for after the latest round of mayhem.

Reports of the attacks were given by displaced persons, officials, and residents of the affected communities.

The state government has also shut down four major markets to prevent fresh reprisal attacks by vigilante members.

The government was, however, silent on the casualty figures as it called on the security agencies to do more to provide security in vulnerable communities.

Residents of Magami said they buried over 60 corpses on Friday morning, after earlier reporting the recovery of 53 bodies. They said many residents were still missing and feared killed.

The Chief Imam of the town, Sanusi Na’ibi, presided over the funeral prayer. Most of the corpses were brought in from surrounding villages but some residents said remote areas that could not move their corpses to the town held separate funeral prayers and burials.

“Gusau Local Government Area is the worst affected because the assailants attacked to kill and not loot,” a local source said.

Meanwhile, the state government has ordered four markets shut down until further notice, to avert fresh attacks. Vigilante groups usually target suspected bandits at cattle markets to avenge attacks on agrarian communities.

They are Magami Market in Gusau Local Government, Dansadau Market in Maru Local Government, Wanke Market in Gusau Local Government and Dauran Market in Zurmi Local Government.