Mum of Nigerian student found dead in UK forest ‘disappointed’ by initial police response


The mother of Richard Okorogheye- a student of Nigeria’s origin who was recently found dead in a United Kingdom (UK) forest, said she is “disappointed” by the initial response by police when she reported her son missing.

Richard’s body was tragically found in a pond in Epping Forest, Essex, on Monday – two weeks after he went missing.

Evidence Joel said the first few days after Richard went missing saw a slow response by officers but the following week the investigation started to move more quickly.

The heartbroken mum has thanked those who were involved in the search for her 19-year-old son.

His death is being treated as unexplained and at this stage police do not believe anyone was involved in it.

His mum Evidence said: “I am disappointed with the initial response by police when I reported Richard missing.

“The following week, I could see that the police were actively searching for Richard and the investigation was picking up. Since then, I am very pleased with the way police have been working.

“I would like to thank the family liaison officers for being thorough, honest and open with us throughout the investigation. We hope to get closure on what happened to Richard.

“I would like to say thank you to everyone who has been involved with searching for Richard, and to the police for the way they have picked this up.

“I have been overwhelmed by kindness and I am grateful for all the love, support, prayers, food and flowers that everyone has been sending.”

The student was seen leaving his house in Ladbroke Grove, west London, in the evening of March 22.

Metropolitan Police officers at the scene at the Wake Valley pond following the discovery of a body which was later identified as Richard.

He was then seen boarding the 23 bus in Ladbroke Grove, heading southbound.

Inquiries found he took a taxi journey from west London to a residential street in Loughton, Essex.

He was captured on CCTV walking alone in Loughton, Essex towards Nursery Road in Epping Forest in the early hours of March 23.

After police searched Epping Forest extensively his body was found in a pond at the beginning of this week.
A forensic post mortem took place on Wednesday and found no evidence of physical trauma or assault.

The cause of death is pending while further investigations are carried out.